Harrow Council Logo

Early Years Logo

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Child engaging and exploring play
Bright Start - Harrow Weald

Children and young people with SEN all have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children and young people of the same age. These children and young people may need extra or different help from that given to others.  The Department for Education have published a guide - Special educational needs and disability - A guide for parents and carers

Within Harrow there are many organisations, groups and schemes that can help if your child is aged up to five years old.  Harrow has a local offers website which sets out the services and support available in the borough. Within the early years the following services can provide support for children with additional needs:

General Practitioner(GP)/Doctor - Contact your local GP who can provide guidance and referrals.

Health Visitors – There is a local offer for health visiting services in Harrow. The Health visiting service support children and families from pre-natal to 5 years. You can find more information here.  There is also a local offer for school nursing services for children aged 5 - 19.

Harrow's Children's Centres – There are multiple Children's Centres located across the borough. They are a focal point for early years services, offering early education, childcare, advice, support and family health services. You can drop in to any children centre and access their services. They also have an active Facebook Page with information on events and services.

Portage Home Visiting Service - A home teaching programme for children aged 0-5 years, who are experiencing delayed development. The aim of the service is to enable parents/carers to gain skills and confidence in meeting their childs developmental needs. Portage works in close partnership with parents/carers to ensure the best actions are taken to support the child.  Contact Portage.

Early Years Providers - These are private, voluntary and independent (PVI’s) providers (including childminders) of early education and childcare. If your child already attends a childcare setting you can discuss their needs with their assigned key person/named setting SENCo (Special Educational Needs Coordinator) for support and advise. It would be helpful to have your red book and any information from professionals who have been involved in your childs development.  There are a large number of PVI’s across the borough and these can be located using Provider Search. If you would like to discuss your options please contact our Families Information Service team.

SEN Assessment & Review Service (SENARS) - The Special Educational Needs service works with families of children and young people, schools, and other agencies. SENARS work to ensure that children and young people with special educational needs get the most out of their education and maximise their achievements. Contact SENARS.


Provide feedback

Is this information accurate and up-to-date?

Click here to let us know